Thursday, November 18, 2010

Ask Anne



Ask Anne
Okay actually we'll be asking each other...
Once every week to few weeks, (depending on how much response we get to this..)
I'll host an "Ask Anne" post.
Do you have a burning question? A recipe you can't find? A concept you don't understand? A prayer request?
This is the place to ask it!
To ask, simply Email it to me! (info in the contributions button in the sidebar)
Then the next time I post an "Ask Anne" Your question will appear and if someone knows the answer or has an opinion they will comment a reply!
I'll start!
My question is; when is piping an armcye necessary? and.. excuse my ignorance... what is it and how is it done? (tutorials welcome!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not even sure what this is- interested to find out the answer!

Avonlea_dreamer said...

Sorry... That was the first question that came to mind. The armcye is the arm hole on a garment. In civil war dress making I often hear of people piping something, but I've no idea what it is...

Stephanie Ann said...

Piping is fabric that is sewn over string to form a rope that is the same (or a contrasting) fabric. It's not necessary but it does make garments look more finished. It is sandwiched in between the sleeves and armhole when the sleeve is sewn on.

This tutorial shows you how to make really thick piping for purses, for a dress, you would use something a lot thinner.

Avonlea_dreamer said...

Ah thanks! That helps. So would you do it for other eras or just cw?