Sunday, November 14, 2010

Stay at Home Sunday, Veterans Day Version



November 13th.
Stay at Home Sunday again!
This week happened to include veterans day. I am so proud of our men and boys! My Grandfather was in the pacific in WWII, my mom's dad was in the air force just after. My dad served in the army around the time of vietnam but never had to go overseas. And I have several church friends now who are either serving or were recently discharged.
Patriotisms always makes me think of the 40's The strength, not only of body, but of the minds of our boys. But not just the boys, the women here on te homefront. Keeping the faith here at home, watching and waiting for either our men to come home, or for that dreaded telegram. They worked here to keep the country moving while the world was at war. So as you Remember our boys, remember the Women too.
Do any of you have any friends or relatives who are veterans? How about any interesting stories that stem from that service?
I have pleanty of dear dinner table stories from my relatives, but no great medal of honor things. But those quiet precious stories,meant the most to the family though they wouldn't mean much to others. My Grandfather won a purple heart on Okinawa and stayed there until the surrender. He then came home to his wife (my Grandmother) and his then around two year old daughter that he had never seen. (my aunt)
What's your story?

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Well...my story is very foggy, as I don't know very much information at all. My great-grandfather fought in World War I, but something happened to him so that he had brain damage or something along those lines. He's the only one in my family I can think of who's been in the military. Your story is interesting, thanks for sharing. :D

~Jamie

Emily said...

My great-great grandfather was in World War I, and my great grandfather fought in World War II, where he lost an eye...my father and grandfather were both in the military but never had to fight. I am very proud of all my family for standing up for their country. I want to learn more about their stories so I can keep them alive to tell my children, passing their history on through the generations.