Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankfulness




We so often take this day for granted, with it's turkey and cranberry sauce, and we forget what it's really all about. As we learned in preschool, Today we remember the feast that the pilgrims hosted to thank the Indians for pretty much saving the settlement. Today was set aside to emulate them, But instead... it's all about the turkey. (Sounds familiar come "Christ"mas time right?)
We do the same thing in prayer sometimes. We get so wrapped up in the sick or lost relatives, or, heaven forbid, that pair of boots we've been drooling over (among other wants and wishes), that we forget to thank him for what he's already done.
You know, if a friend stepped in front of a bullet for you, especially if they lived, there would be no end of thanks to them. I know I, at least, would fall slave at their feet, making sure they never wanted for anything again.
But didn't Jesus do the same thing? And yet, we can only ask for more.
So take aside time, among the basting, decorating and entertaining, to stop, and thank God for the Sunshine. Or the rain or snow! Thank him for bringing your family together, and if he didn't, thank him for the time of solitude to spend with him. And thank him, most importantly, for the sacrifice he made for you!
So what are you thankful for?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Well, in brief;

My salvation, my family, my church family, my cousins, the Reformers, our piano, the library, my dogs, our cat, my writing skills, all our good food, and chocolate!